Ali Grant is Founder of Be Social. Ali Grant is a thought leader, influencer, and risk taker, and Ali has provided the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of Be Social. Ali Grant joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded Be Social as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Ali join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The Be Social story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Ali, but also put Ali through our popular speed round as well!
Ali, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the “elevator pitch” for Be Social is?
We’re a creative communications agency based in sunny Los Angeles, specializing in beauty, lifestyle, and wellness communications campaigns. Like our name suggests, we’re all about relationships. Our expertise lies in media relations and placement as well as social and influencer campaigns. But we’re also a powerhouse of content creators, experience makers, talent builders, and storytellers.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEO’s just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your company’s success?
I learned a lot of hard lessons building my company, and still do! At every stage of your company, there will be a new set of challenges in front of you. In the beginning stages, I highly advise entrepreneurs to absorb advice in the areas they are the least experienced in and to find a mentor in your industry. There is nothing more valuable than getting advice from someone who has already done it before. A lot of Be Social’s success is because of the strong team we have built and the excitement and passion we have for the work we’re doing.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
The issues you have right now aren’t as big as they seem in the moment. I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy stressing about the small stuff. You will have problems, things will be difficult and it’s not easy building a business, but if you have the drive, you will get through it!
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Be Social, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Referrals have become the largest driver of new business for our company. Our reputation and client satisfaction is everything to us. We really aim to build a strong relationship with our clients, so they’re our number one fans.
5. What is the one thing Be Social does to have great communication with their customers?
We’re always there for them. Our industry requires quick communication, so it requires us to be available and on. An important part of communication is being a good listener, we listen to the problems and provide solutions and strategy.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
We make it a priority to read industry publications, watch other brands, and be part of the industry by attending events and conferences. It’s smart to learn from your competitors and grow from that.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Be Social?
My why is building a company that’s at the forefront of our industry with a team that I believe in while making magic for brands and talent.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
Radical Candor. My biggest challenges in running a company have been in leadership and team building, I’ve learned a lot from my mistakes and have applied a lot of the lessons in this book. It is a must-read for anyone running or building a team.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Be Social?
One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned as a founder…you must be transparent, direct and communicative with your staff! They need to trust you to be order to trust in your vision and be motivated to work towards achieving it with you.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Be Social?
Have passion and never give up!
We would like to have some fun and do a “First Reaction” round with you!
We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only. Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Intense. Constant. Focused.
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Passion. Hustle. Heart.
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Be Social?
Chaotic. Passionate. Naive.
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Gave me grit!
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Ali Grant, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about what it takes to be a leader and a success. We are sure your interview will help our readers, and we wish you, your family, and of course Be Social, nothing but the best. Thanks again!