Betsy Mikesell is the CEO of Beddy's. Betsy Mikesell is a thought leader, influencer, and risk taker, and provides the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of Beddy's. Betsy Mikesell joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded Beddy's as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Betsy join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The Beddy's story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Betsy about her very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Betsy through our popular speed round as well.
Betsy, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your Beddy's.
1. Can you describe what the elevator pitch for Beddy's is?
Beddys is patented zipper bedding, designed to simplify the way you make your bed! Bedding has always been the same until now, weve revolutionized the bedding industry.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEOs just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your companys success?
Starting out is hard work. Stick with it. Find other businesses that are slightly bigger than yours to reach out to. They will most likely have the best advice because they will have just gone through or are going through some of the same issues and its so great to have others to bounce ideas off of. In the beginning you are everything, from customer service to book keeper etc. It is tiring and crazy, busy, but exciting and fun at the same time. Enjoy every part of the ride. Its a roller coaster, youll have lots of ups and downs but it will all pay off if you stick with it.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Reflect on why you are doing this. As others for advice. Find someone who you can trust and rely on to talk about things. They can be your sounding-board and support.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Beddy's, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
We strive to make everyone happy. (Its not always possible, but that is our goal!) We are very engaged on our social media and that makes a huge
difference. Social media is essentially the new version of Better Business Bureau. People trust a company that they can talk to and who will listen to their concerns.
5. What is the one thing Beddy's does to have great communication with their customers?
We always have someone on emails. We even have girls checking our emails over the weekend because we want customers to hear back from us as soon as possible. We also try to comment back and answer every question we get on social media. That has become a full time job just answering questions on social media. Its what helps us stay engaged with our customers and understand their needs.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
I check social media, I follow other brands to watch what they are doing, and I am always listening to a business book on audible or a self help book. They are great because if you understand yourself and how others work, you can create a great environment and communication for employees and that always reflects on how they treat your customers.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Beddys?
My Whyis because I wanted to start something that my kids could watch and that would take care of our family. I wanted them to see me work for a goal and achieve it. Theyve watched me struggle and I think its been the best lesson for them to know when times get hard you cant give up. Theyve watched me cry and celebrate (sometimes I do both even in the same day.)
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
I love Brene Browns The Power of Vulnerability and Dare to Lead. They are both so good. They are life lessons on how you should act, treat others and even treat yourself. If youre a good person who is always trying to help others, it will come back to you. People are good! They want to see you succeed. I want to see others succeed. Learning how people work and what makes them tick is so helpful in leading them. Everyone is different and has different needs. If you can find what they need and help them be successful, they will help you become successful. Its human nature to want to succeed in whatever it is youre doing. If you can help your employees become successful by removing roadblocks they will continue to soar.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Beddys?
One of the biggest lessons Ive learned is from the book Dare To Lead. She mentions that she tells her employees she needs something done and they didnt do it the way she wanted it done. She realized its because of the way she asked them to do it. So instead, she clarifies what she needs by describing What done looks like. Thats what I do with my employees now. I describe what done looks like. They always do everything the way I ask or a lot of times even better because I describe what I need from them and try to create a clear picture for them.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Beddys?
Go for it, stay creative and enjoy the ride!
Betsy, we would like to have some fun and do our famous First Reaction round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Caring, Vulnerable, Fun
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
Happy, you can train them on skills, but if they are happy they bring so much to the culture of the company!
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
Life-Changing (can that be one word? its connected:)
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Helpful, Exciting, Changing
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Changing, Accepting, Excited
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Beddys?
Stressful, Exciting, Unknown
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Ive had to learn how to balance time. Im still terrible with it. Its also taught me to take chances.
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Kindness. I know thats a weird answer but I think kindness goes so far. From the way you treat your family, employees, business partners, customers etc. they will most likely be kind back. The world needs a little more kindness dont you think?
Betsy Mikesell, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about your company and what it takes to be a leader. We we wish you, your family, and of course Beddy's, nothing but the best. Thanks again!
The Betsy Mikesell Roundtable Interview brought to you by DotCom Magazine.