Chase McAnulty is the Founder of Charlie Hustle. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded Charlie Hustle as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Chase join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The Charlie Hustle story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Chase, but also put Chase through our popular speed round as well!
Chase, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the “elevator pitch” for Charlie Hustle is?
This is always an interesting question for us as there isn't a great elevator pitch due to the diversity of our brand and the many channels it connects with. With that said, we our mission is to give our customers an unforgettable experience by creating fans through service paired with high quality, authentic products that embody the spirit and nostalgia of our brand. We use the t-shirt as our canvas to take you back to your childhood. Our goal is to create that favorite t-shirt, with a mix between a story-telling design and that nice soft fit and feel. You know, the one you could wear everyday. From hometown focused artwork that touches on civic pride to collegiate classics that represent your alma mater, we have a little something for everybody. We call it Vintage Made Fresh.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEO’s just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your company’s success?
Just keep going and continue to learn. Your business will start out with you doing everything and will evolve into many other things. Ultimate the goal is to focus more on the designing and developing of your business than the doing. This is where the message of working on the business as oppose to in the business comes into play. You have to keep building and if you surround yourself with great complementary pieces, especially in the areas that you aren't so good at, you're off to a great start. Many entrepreneurs believe they can do it all and don't need the help, but that's typically a product of an inability to delegate. Embrace the talent around you and change will be a lot smoother as it comes. The more you continue to educate yourself, the better coach, leader, and business owner you will be.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as Charlie Hustle, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Everyday is different and new challenges come all the time. This is where the difference between an entrepreneur and a wantrepreneur show up. Successful business leaders thrive during these challenging times. You have created a eustress, now you have to learn how expand your ability to cope and dig in, focusing on the top priorities daily and organizing yourself to win everyday at what's most important at the time. If you're a true entrepreneur, having your back up against the wall is exhilarating and that gaining that sense of accomplishment on a daily basis will keep you away from the feelings of wanting to quit.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Charlie Hustle , and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Extremely important, but it's not the only thing. We focus on three core areas, the customer being one of them with community and company (culture) being the others. Good companies are strong in 1 or 2 of these areas, great companies remain focused on all three areas in my mind. You look at major corporations like Apple, Nike, and Patagonia. They all are ahead in their industry because they are able to innovate in all three of these areas and in turn it creates an experience that not only the customer is interested in, but the community wants to be apart of and the employees that work inside the business what to see succeed.
5. What is the one thing Charlie Hustle does to have great communication with their customers?
Our purpose is to evoke happiness. Purpose is very different than any mission or vision, it's the thing that answers the question of why you do what you do. We want to make our customers happy by being clear about what we offer, who we are as a brand, and communicating through happiness. The consumer is then not only down with the product, but they become ambassadors for your brand and want to be apart of that. This also goes back to community and company and culture as well. It makes your message much easier to send when everyone involved is on board.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
Don't stop learning. Read books, seek mentors, talk to others that have already been there. One of the best things we have going for us right now is a great leadership team that is open and honest and all bring something different to the table. We listen to each other and find the best solutions for our vision so we can utilize our team to implement strategy. We also empower our team to keep us abreast as well instead of being so focused on a top down environment. A hierarchy is the old way of doing business. If you can give your employees more responsibility and set clear expectations, they will give you more value while feeling valued at the same time.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Charlie Hustle ?
Simply because I enjoy what I am doing. I have created a business that is an outlet for my own passion as well. I wanted to make clothing and I enjoy designing them. That's enough reason for me.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
I absolutely love SHOE DOG. The Nike story told through Phil Knight's experience is something I always go back to. Business wise, I love Predictable Success as a mantra for growing your business. I could go on and on here, but these are two that I continue to go back to.
9. When communicating with your staff at Charlie Hustle, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at as the leader?
Preparation is everything. There's a lot of information that is handled as the boss and I wasn't always the best prepared. This company started from a creative standpoint so much of the business is learned. Coming prepared to whatever is trying to be accomplished is everything. If you have prepared, you have already won.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Charlie Hustle?
Do what you got to do, so you can do what you want to do. That's a quote I always use. Outside of that, build a company with integrity and stand behind why you started in the first place. Let your purpose be the guiding force. Lastly, treat people well.
We would like to have some fun and do a “First Reaction” round with you!
We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only. Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Creativity, flexibility, vulnerability.
2. Describe Charlie Hustle in one word?
3. Describe Charlie Hustle customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for Charlie Hustle?
Do they speak and hear the truth.
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about Charlie Hustle?
Favorite. Favorite t-shirt, favorite brand, favorite message.
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Relentless and Emotional
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Listen and Learn
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Charlie Hustle?
Exhilarating, exhausting and inspiring.
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
It's Hardened Me
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Chase McAnulty, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We hope your interview helps our readers, and we wish you, your family, and of course Charlie Hustle, nothing but the best.