Josh Kamrath is the CeO of BONGO . Josh Kamrath is a thought leader, influencer, and risk taker, and Josh has provided the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of Bongo. Josh Kamrath joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series.The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded Bongo as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Josh join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The Bongo story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Josh, but also put Josh through our popular speed round as well!
Josh, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the elevator pitch for Bongo is?
Bongo is a video assessment solution that enables experiential learning and soft skill development at scale. Our structured video workflows let organizations facilitate repeated skill practice, peer-to-peer collaboration, and knowledge application within a real-world context. When individuals demonstrate skills and apply their knowledge on video, evaluators get an authentic representation of what they can do.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEOs just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your companys success?
Id say there isnt just one key thing thats the key to successits a combination of a thousand little things that add up. But if I had to boil things down to one thing, it would be to surround yourself with the best people you can find that have a diverse set of opinions/perspectives.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
When things get challenging, I think the most important thing to do is to be brutally honest with yourself and work towards making the best possible decision to move things forward.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Bongo , and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Client satisfaction is critically important because the best sales person in the world is a satisfied customer. In terms of how to cultivate that, its about genuinely listening to them and probing for their frustrations and the things they care about.
5. What is the one thing Bongo does to have great communication with their customers?
We strive to create and preserve a constant, two-way relationship with our customers. The reality is that every customer will run into something that they dont think is right, but how we interact with them and work towards solving their issues is what makes all the difference.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
There are a lot of different sources I read, and really it depends on the topic and what Im looking to achieve. Things like the HubSpot Blog are great for sales/marketing. Magazines like Inc, Harvard Business Review, and Forbes are great. Recently, the biggest source has actually been Reddit.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Bongo ?
We have a really awesome, unique opportunity with our company in that theres huge financial potential, but an even bigger altruistic potential with what were working towards. Were helping people develop a fundamental and very critical skill set, which can have direct impact on a ton of different areas in their lives, such as their family, career, etc.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
I have almost every employee read the book It Starts With Why by Simon Sinek. I think it does an awesome job explaining how to frame value.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Bongo ?
I constantly stress the importance of communication and working in cross-functional teams. Its almost impossible to build a business when everyone is in a vacuumed silo. Ensuring everyone rows in the same direction makes tackling milestones easier and faster.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Bongo ?
Become obsessed with the problem, not the solution.
We would like to have some fun and do a First Reaction round with you!
We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only. Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Empathetic, communication, perspective
2. Describe Bongo in one word?
3. Describe Bongo customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for Bongo?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about Bongo?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Josie Kamrath (wife)
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Luck, drive, teamwork
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Bongo ?
Very, very hard
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Appreciate absolutely everything
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Josh Kamrath , Thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We hope your interview helps our readers, and we wish you, your family, and of course Bongo , nothing but the best. Thanks again!