Katie Bouton is the CEO of Koya Leadership Partners. Katie Bouton is a thought leader, influencer, and risk taker, and provides the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of Koya Leadership Partners. Katie Bouton joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded Koya Leadership Partners as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Katie join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The Koya Leadership Partners story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Katie about her very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Katie through our popular speed round as well.
Katie, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the elevator pitch for Koya Leadership Partners is?
Koya is a mission driven executive search firm that places transformational leaders across the country and globally.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEOs just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your companys success?
Starting a business is not for the faint of heart! My advice would be to constantly assess what you know and what you dont. Dont try to do it all. Focusing your energies on the things only you can do and finding experts to help you with the other things will serve you and your company well. In the early years I spent a lot of time
trying to do everything myself and it slowed down our growth. I think the key to our success has been our transparency with employees, our commitment to our clients, and our willingness to evolve.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as Koya Leadership Partners, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Surround yourself with a strong support network and find mentors that know more than you. I found it really helpful to find other CEOs who were running businesses at a later stage than mine so that I could seek their advice. Its also helpful to keep your eyes on the bigger picture. If you are clear about why you are growing your company and where you are headed, the bad days are easier to take.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Koya Leadership Partners, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Client satisfaction drives much of what we do at Koya. Our business is built on repeat clients which means we have to do everything we can to keep clients happy and engaged with Koya. We make sure clients feel unique, listened to, and know that we really understand their business and mission.
5. What is the one overriding belief that Koya Leadership Partners has about what it is doing?
We truly believe that the right person in the right place can change the world. We are changing the world through the amazing leaders we help place at mission driven organizations. We also believe that all of our employees are changing the world through the work that they do every day.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
I am a big reader and spend a lot of time researching and learning about business issues that interest me. I also listen to a lot of podcasts and am constantly asking employees what are you reading? What are you listening to?
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Koya Leadership Partners?
I am committed to doing my part to make the world a better place. Koyas employees and clients are counting on us to deliver. I take that responsibility very seriously. I also firmly believe that in order deliver on our promises everyone at Koya has to have a work life and a personal life that are integrated and not at odds with one another. This means finding time to take a break, to read, to exercise so that you can come back the next day refreshed.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
Small Giants had a big influence on me. It is a business book about not growing your business to be the biggest but rather to be in line with your mission and your values. It really made me realize that growth in revenue or profit is not the only way to measure success.
9. In one sentence, can you tell us what the most important thing about being a leader is?
I think establishing trust through communication, being a good listener, and transparency is critical to be a strong leader.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Koya Leadership Partners?
Go for it and know it will be the most rewarding and difficult thing you have ever done, sometimes in the same day!
Katie, we would like to have some fun and do our famous First Reaction round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Transparency, authenticity, perseverance
2. Describe Koya Leadership Partners in one word?
3. Describe Koya Leadership Partners customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for Koya Leadership Partners?
All employees at Koya must be active learners and willing to evolve and try new things.
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about Koya Leadership Partners?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Changing the world
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Willingness to experiment
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Koya Leadership Partners?
Thrilling, terrifying, fun
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Comfortable with risk
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Katie Bouton, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about your company and what it takes to be a leader. We we wish you, your family, and of course Koya Leadership Partners, nothing but the best.
The Katie Bouton Roundtable Interview brought to you by DotCom Magazine.