Megan Driscoll is the CEO of PharmaLogics Recruiting. Megan Driscoll is a thought leader, influencer, and risk taker, and provides the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of PharmaLogics Recruiting. Megan Driscoll joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded PharmaLogics Recruiting as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Megan join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The PharmaLogics Recruiting story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Megan about his very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Megan through our popular speed round as well.
Megan, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the “elevator pitch” for PharmaLogics Recruiting is?
PharmaLogics is a 90-person award-winning life science recruiting firm with a mission to place top talent at companies that improve and save lives. We work on roles that range from Research Associate to CEO and everything in between. We are global and have headquarters in both Boston and Basel Switzerland.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEO’s just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your company’s success?
My advice would be to seek out and surround yourself with mentors that have been where you are now, but are now where you want to be. These gems need not only be in your industry either. I have found that the advice from those working in different market segments have given me some of my greatest advice. Do not be shy – people want to help you. All you need to do is ask.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as PharmaLogics Recruiting, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
I have 3 favorite sayings that pretty much apply to all difficult situations:
- This too shall pass
- It isn’t cancer
- Successful people do shit they don’t want to do
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at PharmaLogics Recruiting, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Client satisfaction is incredibly important to us and, as service providers, is extremely important to the overall growth and success of our company. Our growth from $1 million in revenue in 2006 to $15 million in revenue in 2018 was entirely built on organic growth and word of mouth. Our customer’s satisfaction is t
he priority. We have clients today that we worked with 15 years ago that still continue with us based on the quality of our service and the low cost model that we deliver.
5. What is the one overriding belief that PharmaLogics Recruiting has about what it is doing?
Our candidates are by and large not looking. We give our clients access to talent that they would otherwise not be able to attract and we do that in collaboration with our HR and Talent Acquisition partners. The industry is plagued with a recruiter versus HR mentality and we take the opposite approach. We act as an extension of a company’s HR team.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
We have 6 core values and Innovation is the first on the list. We don’t do things for the sake of doing things because that is the way they have always been done. We push the envelope in everything we do. We are willing to try new technology, a new process, a new operational approach, a new product. We are willing to fail. When you don’t apologize for change you are free to try a lot of things that not only keep you ahead of your competition, but also allow for opportunities for big wins.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead PharmaLogics Recruiting?
I actually know now why it is that not everyone wants to be an owner. It really isn’t for everyone. I have a deep love, not only for the people at PharmaLogics, but the idea of what PharmaLogics can be. It is similar to how I feel about my kids. I see the greatness in them as children and know that they are going to become amazing adults. PharmaLogics is a superstar too. But with that love, comes responsibility. PharmaLogics consumes my days, my nights and my weekends. Home life and work life blend right together, one only being an extension of the other. To build an amazing company, I believe this is the secret sauce. You have to love it like your family, otherwise it will end up like the rest of great companies that never made it; over 60% fail in the first year and over 90% are gone in 10. Passion of the founder-leader keeps the lights on even in the dark moments that all companies have. The greatness I see in PharmaLogics’ potential is my “why.”
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
I read a lot of non-fiction…magazines, newspapers, books. I enjoy diverse reading interests because I pull inspiration from a variety of different genres, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the late Wayne Dyer. His book, The Power of Intention, has been like a Bible for me because it reinforces that anything is possible if you set your mind and heart towards something. Success is within all of us.
9. In one sentence, can you tell us what the most important thing about being a leader is?
Making meaningful connections with your employees and your customers and always, always putting the needs of your company ahead of your own.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as PharmaLogics Recruiting?
Don’t give up.
Megan, we would like to have some fun and do our famous “First Reaction” round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Resilience, Gratefulness, Optimism
2. Describe PharmaLogics Recruiting in one word?
3. Describe PharmaLogics Recruiting customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for PharmaLogics Recruiting?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about PharmaLogics Recruiting?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Inciting passion in others (Sorry 4 words!)
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Love, Kindness, Hardwork
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at PharmaLogics Recruiting?
Hopeful, Surprising, Painful
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
In every way
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Megan Driscoll, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about your company and what it takes to be a leader. We we wish you, your family, and of course PharmaLogics Recruiting, nothing but the best. Thanks again!
The Megan Driscoll Roundtable Interview brought to you by DotCom Magazine.