Darren Magarro is the CEO of DSM. Darren Magarro is a thought leader, influencer, and a risk taker, and provides the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of DSM. Darren Magarro joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded DSM as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Darren join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The DSM story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Darren about his very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Darren through our popular speed round as well.
Darren, thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the elevator pitch for DSM is?
We are a full-service marketing agency made up of relentless personalities, invested in the successes of our clients.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEOs just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your companys success?
Make sure you are mindful of relationships and processes as you are building your company. Ensure that you know your strengths and weaknesses and be sure to surround yourself with quality individuals that complement your skill set and personality.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as DSM, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Stay the course. Challenges will present themselves in different forms whether you are in periods of feast or famine. You will ultimately be judged as a entrepreneur on how you face the challenge and overcome it.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at DSM, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Most important part of our business, especially being one that is service-based. You are your product. If the product sucks, its very hard to overcome any amount of
5. What is the one overriding belief that DSM has about what it is doing?
Humbly, its all about producing great work. If you put in the work, the rest will follow. As you grow, you find that it becomes a bit harder and more disconnected as you add divisions to the company. One principle that keeps me grounded is knowing that it always comes back to the work. If you dont put that as THE CORE TENET, it will get away from you.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
In the digital space in marketing, its almost impossible to keep up with the amount of information and change. Frankly, things are changing from one day to the next. Bleeding edge is almost comedic in trying to surmise the space. I believe in keeping things simple and trying not to do too much. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt when it doesnt I lean on the relationships Ive built and the work we produce as a team. I listen to a few podcasts regularly based on personal relationships that Ive formed with the producers. The first is the YouX Podcast hosted by Matt Johnson and the second is the THRIVE podcast hosted by Kelly Campbell. Both are phenomenal and highly recommended.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead DSM?
My Why is pretty simple. I love to work with an mentor young entrepreneurs. I dont necessarily need to be doing marketing for the rest of my life. What I love is to lead a group of people to achieve a common goal. I am most definitely not the smartest person in the room what I try to be is a good person with good values. If I can impart life lessons to younger folks along the way, all the better. That is what gets me amped up on the daily.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. Was given to my by a good friend at one of the lower points in my career. Its a simple read about passion in work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary. Its a fantastic (quick) read.
9. In one sentence, can you tell us what the most important thing about being a leader is?
Being a leader is about putting others before yourself in all aspects of business.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as DSM ?
Find what it is you love and go after it with passion and reckless abandon fear of failure cannot lead your quest to be successful.
Darren, we would like to have some fun and do our famous First Reaction round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
2. Describe DSM in one word?
3. Describe DSM customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for DSM?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about DSM?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Mentoring Young Leaders
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Leading By Example
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at DSM?
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Resolve To Grow
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Darren Magarro, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about your company and what it takes to be a leader. We we wish you, your family, and of course DSM, nothing but the best.
The Darren Magarro Roundtable Interview brought to you by DotCom Magazine.