Joshua Hebert is the CEO of Magellan Jets. Joshua Hebert is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. Joshua provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of Magellan Jets. Joshua Hebert joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has recently awarded Magellan Jets our Impact Company of 2019 award, and we are delighted to have Joshua join us for our Leader Round Table Interview.
The Magellan Jets story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Joshua about his very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Joshua through our popular speed round as well. Joshua, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. What is the elevator pitch for Magellan Jets?
Magellan Jets is a Boston-based private aviation solution provider built on a foundation of integrity, reliability, and trust. Founded in 2008, Magellan Jets innovative model offers jet-specific memberships and on-demand charter services designed to provide the freedom and exceptional personalized service that private travelers expect. Magellan Jets and its FAA-licensed Flight Support team ensure that every detail is tailored to exceed expectations. Safety, security, and an uncompromising focus on hospitality combine with the most exclusive network of aircraft in the skies to let travelers experience private aviation the way it was meant to be, purely private.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEOs just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your companys success?
They need to understand their numbers (income, expenses, and gross profit) what theyve done in the past and what theyre trying to achieve in the future. A lot of entrepreneurs dont know their numbers. It is also extremely important for CEOs to understand the competitive landscape and be able to tweak their products according to this analysis.
Dont be afraid to fail or it becomes more difficult to succeed. Your new job as CEO is Decision-Maker: You cant get everything right and have to be comfortable being wrong sometimes that is how you grow. CEOs/Visionaries should not be involved in day-to-day operations as much as they should be making the big decisions within the organization so that they can lead and grow the vision of the company.
Two of the best pieces of advice I have ever received are: Reputation takes years to build and only seconds to ruin, and If it swims like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck!
The key to Magellan Jets success has been hiring great people who help build the amazing culture we have. One of core values is:
Develop, cultivate, and share a Prosperity Mindset. We value memorable experiences that build trust and loyalty. We truly strive to make this a reality for our employees. We are lucky to have a very cool office located in Quincy Center with a view of Boston, hold fun events and parties, volunteer as often as we can, and encourage open dialogue and communication within the company.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
A lot of people have problems within an organization and the CEO needs to be the solution. Its very easy to point out issues, but its harder to solve them. Keep it simple, but also explain the why behind the task, giving someone a clean definition of what is expected out of them gives you a much better product. Think of every decision first think of how you would do something if you didnt have a budget, then think of how to do it with a budget.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Magellan Jets, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
We made a decision three years ago, which was risky and scary, to not concentrate on growth and concentrate on customer retention instead. Our renewal rate on memberships is now 90%, proving that customer satisfaction is more important than new business. Were getting back into growth mode now that weve refined our membership program and retained our current clients.
5. What is the one thing Magellan Jets does to have great communication with their customers?
Magellan Jets success is closely tied to its world class Flight Support department, which consists of aviation professionals and FAA-Certificated Pilots available 24/7/365. With years of experience in high-end catering and concierge service, the Flight Support team is committed to excellence in quality and innovation and strives for superiority in every aspect of service. Our customers expect technology to help them out; but also for someone to pick up the phone and understand whats going on with their trip at all times.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, how do you stay abreast of things?
I read The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Bloomberg, Fortune and Forbes on a daily basis. Im also active in a lot of LinkedIn forums, my YPO group and the Forbes Boston Business Council. I stay in touch with my mentors, and on top of current business topics.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Magellan Jets?
Creating meaningful relationships with friends, family, clients and the Magellan Jets team. Also staying in good physical health, I exercise in the am to prep for the day. I love learning and mentoring other entrepreneurs, I love watching companies grow and to be able to help in that process.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
Principles by Ray Dalio. His philosophy and the principles he applies to his business can work for any successful business.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Magellan Jets?
Give them clear and concise information and the why on the task at hand. Give a concept and hope that they make it bigger and better. We over communicate at Magellan Jets we send a daily email of updates, both internal and external. We have a 15-minute meeting every morning with the whole staff, even on weekends and holidays, weekly IDS meetings with every department, quarterly reviews with employees on what they can do better and what management can do better.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Magellan Jets?
Have control over your destiny. You need to be comfortable continuing to educate yourself to get better, if not your competitors will. Turning your beliefs and passions in life into a business is the most gratifying thing a person can do.
We would like to have some fun and do a Speed Round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Live core values
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Creating meaningful relationships
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Focus on a vision
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Magellan Jets?
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
I have become more philanthropic and refined my network
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Joshua Hebert, Thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Leader Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We hope your interview helps our readers, and we wish you, your family, and of course Magellan Jets, nothing but the best.