Sean Hopwood is the CEO of Day Translations, Inc.. Sean Hopwood is a thought leader, influencer, and risk taker, and provides the vision and energy that has inspired the creation of Day Translations, Inc.. Sean Hopwood joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded Day Translations, Inc. as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Sean join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The Day Translations, Inc. story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Sean about his very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Sean through our popular speed round as well.
Sean, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your Day Translations, Inc..
1. Can you describe what the “elevator pitch” for Day Translations, Inc. is?
If your trying to grow your business, expand worldwide, and reach clients who might not speak your language, it’s imperative that you hire a translation company with cultural and linguistic experience to help you communicate. That’s what we do.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEO’s just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your company’s success?
Evolve and adapt at all times. If you are the kind of person getting into a business just to save a lot of money and retire early, you are in business for the wrong reasons. You should do something you are passionate about and would enjoy doing for the rest of your life. Then you must have the ability to adapt, grow, and innovate. I have a policy where technology cannot be used more than 5 years. Everything should be built, destroyed, and built again. Just like a forest. A forest fire destroys trees, and turns them into ashes, which fertilizes the ground to build a stronger and more beautiful forest.
Sears never adapted their clothing line or even their computer system and look at where they are now.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as Day Translations, Inc., what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
I’ve been through a lot of hard times in my life, which prepared me for anything. No matter what comes my way, I just keep moving. Sometimes you’re walking on concrete, which is easy. Sometimes you are in mud, which is hard. But no matter what, you have to keep walking. Be strong willed. Continue to move forward. Then, surround yourself with like minded people, who buy into the philosophy of your company. They will help your company move forward too. Have a clear mission statement and purpose so people know what they belong to. This will make your employees more loyal to you, and encourage them to not give up when things get though.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Day Translations, Inc., and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
I believe client satisfaction comes from employee satisfaction. It’s a balance. If you keep your employees happy, that will create the roots to make your clients happy. We created a strong human resources package, with benefits and a safe, fair, and ethical work environment. Once you have that established, you and your team have the motivation to treat your clients like gold. It’s like a tree. Your employees are the roots from which your clients will grow.
5. What is the one overriding belief that Day Translations, Inc. has about what it is doing?
Every culture and person has a story. We are a company that believes in the reservation, acknowledgement, and celebration of all cultures. All cultures should be appreciated.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
We have an innovation department, whose responsibility is to:
i. Inform and educate our company on all the technology DT is using
ii. Inform and educate our company on all the technology worldwide, regardless of industry.
For example, intelligent vacuums, wifi and bluetooth technology, and anything on the horizon.
I foster an environment of creativity and innovation among all employees. All of the tech we use can be improved upon, and then destroyed and recreated. You can never get comfortable or lazy, because that is when innovation stops. If you stop innovating and growing, you’ll get replaced.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Day Translations, Inc.?
My why has changed. When I started I was passionate about languages. I wanted to do something where I could help people learn about language and culture. But as I’ve grown the company, I’ve found even more satisfaction in creating employee satisfaction. I enjoy creating an atmosphere where employees feel happy, safe, and strong in furthering their careers.
What keeps me at my peak performance is working. In all 12 years of this company’s existence, there hasn’t been a day that I don’t check in on work. It makes me relaxed and happy to work. When most people are going to bed, I go back to work. I’m consistent. I never stop. I also stay consistent by working out and playing soccer everyday. And having a healthy diet helps me stay focused and at peak performance to do what needs to get done.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson – It helped me learn how to adapt and never be satisfied. I also learned the importance adaptation in this ever changing technological atmosphere.
9. In one sentence, can you tell us what the most important thing about being a leader is?
Being a leader is being a consistent example to your employees, so they know what to expect from you, and know what you expect from them.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as Day Translations, Inc.?
Lead and motivate with passion!
Sean, we would like to have some fun and do our famous “First Reaction” round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, What makes a successful CEO?
Brains. Creativity. Persistence.
2. Describe Day Translations, Inc. in one word?
3. Describe Day Translations, Inc. customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for Day Translations, Inc.?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about Day Translations, Inc.?
6. In three words or less, describe your Day Translations, Inc.?
Professional. Human. Passionate.
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Education. Loyalty. Persistence. – (I really believe in persistence.)
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Day Translations, Inc.?
Inspiring. Stressful. Educational.
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Organized. Focused. Driven.
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Sean Hopwood, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about your company and what it takes to be a leader. We we wish you, your family, and of course Day Translations, Inc., nothing but the best.
The Sean Hopwood Roundtable Interview brought to you by DotCom Magazine.