BJ Carter is the CEO of Cielo Global Holdings. BJ Carter is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. BJ provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of Cielo Global Holdings. BJ Carter joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has recently awarded Cielo Global Holdings with our Impact Company of 2019 award. We are delighted to have BJ join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview
and our popular “speed round” as well.
BJ, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. What is the “elevator pitch” for Cielo Global Holdings?
We buy, build and manage companies that have special market disrupting technologies. Examples of these technologies we are deploying are Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, Fintech and Business Analytics.
2. What is the key to your company’s success?
The people we attract and retain are thought leaders in their respective domains. We encourage disruptive thinkers to be part of our family. We also are very good at identifying companies that are complementary to one another.
3. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give entrepreneurs just starting out with a new venture?
Focus and execute, but don't be afraid to stretch. Try to recognize that thought leaders in their area of expertise just need to be complementary, they don't have to agree. Operations and sales don’t think alike; marketing and legal don’t think alike. Appreciate their unique view, find the best you can afford and listen to them.
4. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Don’t quit. Don’t even entertain that thought. This is a long journey and success will come. Find great mentors with deep experiences that complement your strategy and challenge your thinking. Stay humble, remain sincere and genuine and continue to work hard.
5. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Cielo Global Holdings, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Let your customers define what satisfies them. Find as many commonalities in their requests of how they want to be treated as you can and build an evolving suite of best practices around that core. Seek their continued feedback and listen to them.
6. In today’s fast-changing business environment, how do you stay abreast of things?
Get up earlier than everyone else. Do your market research every day. Attend thought provoking events to gain exposure and create a culture where your teammates can share their thoughts and ideas and actually be heard.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Cielo Global Holdings?
I like building companies that solve real problems and also help people realize their professional and personal goals. I like finding alignment between a company's mission and its employees’ personal goals. I get up early and read and research and then I workout. I plan my day the night before and I prepare for my meetings so I know what I want to accomplish and why.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
Tipping Point. The book describes a concept about how people are involved in change and what roles various people play in that process. I gained a perspective of what types of people I need in my organization to facilitate change.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Cielo Global Holdings?
I get into the details when I paint a picture of what my expectations are. I try to present a very clear picture of what the end result is and encourage my people to contribute by asking them questions and soliciting their opinions. They are then able to fill in the roadmap of what needs to happen to get from here to there.
10. Can you explain what leadership means to you?
You go first and aren’t beyond doing the hard work and putting in the hours. Don’t be afraid to do the work alongside your staff. Nothing is beyond you as the senior leader. Humility goes a long way. Don't ask someone to do something you are not willing to do yourself.
We would like to have some fun and do a “speed round” with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, what makes a successful CEO?
Put others first.
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
Their ability to care about others’ needs.
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Delivering on promises.
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Doing the right thing.
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Cielo Global Holdings?
Exciting, exhausting, rewarding.
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Failure builds character.
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English language?
BJ Carter, thank you so much for sitting down with us for our DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We wish you, your family, and of course Cielo Global Holdings, nothing but the best.
BJ Carter, CEO of Cielo Global Holdings, The Leader Roundtable Interview Series