Charlie Mulligan is the CEO of BREWPUBLIK. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has awarded BREWPUBLIK as an Impact Company of 2019, and we are delighted to have Charlie join us for our Leader Round Table Interview. The BREWPUBLIK story is very interesting, and we are very excited to not only interview Charlie about his very successful business and entrepreneurial spirit, but also put Charlie through our popular speed round as well.
Charlie, thank so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview, and answering some questions about leadership, your vision, and your passion.
1. Can you describe what the elevator pitch for BREWPUBLIK is?
BREWPUBLIK is your all-in-one solution, delivering the best beverages to the best businesses. Whether you want kegs of craft brew, a fridge stocked with wine, cold coffee, kombucha, or specialty cocktails for your next event well design and maintain a custom program to best suit your companys unique needs.
2. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give CEOs just starting out regarding keeping a company moving forward, and please tell us the key to your companys success?
The key to my success is courage. I find that most people who have the ambition to start a business often dont. My advice to any new entrepreneur is to just go for it! When you do, make sure you treat every employee, customer, and vendor with dignity and respect. Dont lose sight of your humanity.
3. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as BREWPUBLIK, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Have the audacity to stick it out even when faced with daunting challenges and remember you have strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else. Surround yourself with people that compliment your skillset and let them do what they do best, so you have a well-rounded and efficient team. Things wont always be perfect, but you can grow from setbacks and learn from mistakes.
4. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at BREWPUBLIK, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Ensuring customer satisfaction is our number one priority and the hands-on approach we take is what sets BREWPUBLIK apart. By building lasting partnerships with businesses who can rely on us, we strengthen office culture, assist with teambuilding, help stores sell more by delighting their customers, and more. We also host some really fun events and handle everything beverage-related, so the only thing our clients need to worry about is having a good time.
5. What is the one overriding belief that BREWPUBLIK has about what it is doing?
Here at BREWPUBLIK, we arent just providing the best beverages and services to the best businesses, but we also believe were helping our clients cultivate enjoyable experiences at their offices and storefronts. These extra amenities or employee perks can make a huge difference when it comes to culture building and morale, which play a role in helping companies thrive.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, what do you do to keep up with the changes? What do you read to stay abreast of things?
I keep up by listening to people who know what they are talking about. Podcasts and audio books are great. I also read the Wall Street Journal for world news and do the NYT crossword to keep the mind straight whenever I can. I tend to steer clear of super "startupy" publications though. I have learned that it's really easy to get sucked in to the self-reinforcing tech bubble so try and avoid that.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead BREWPUBLIK?
Now that Im almost 30 I know what I am good at and realize I won't be happy unless I am doing all I can to maximize my talents. I have come to acknowledge that I am a good leader, so I lead. I get up every morning knowing I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, and I find that to be exciting and fulfilling. It keeps me motivated. I also do my best to get enough rest (easier said than done), eat well, exercise when I can, and surround myself with talented and inspiring people.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
I love Delivering Happiness, by Tony Hsieh (founder of Zappos). I try my best to learn from people who are smarter and more experienced than me, and I am a huge fan of the humble yet innovative way he led Zappos. While the concept of "how" can sometimes be taken too far (in my opinion), it's clear that Tony was committed and successful in instilling the how of literally everything that was done at Zappos. This, in particular, I found to be immensely valuable.
9. In one sentence, can you tell us what the most important thing about being a leader is?
The most important thing about being a leader is accepting the fact that sometimes you have to make unpopular decisions and you cant always make everyone happy.
10. In one sentence, can you give some advice to fellow entrepreneurs wishing to build a company as exciting as BREWPUBLIK ?
Have the courage to start your business. Why wait for tomorrow if you can do it today?
Charlie, we would like to have some fun and do our famous First Reaction round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, what makes a successful CEO?
Leadership, courage, respect.
2. Describe BREWPUBLIK in one word?
3. Describe BREWPUBLIK customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee for BREWPUBLIK?
Adaptability. I look for individuals who are capable of applying their skills to multiple situations.
5. What is the one word would you want your customers to say about BREWPUBLIK?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Rewarding others labor
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Courage, adaptability, and humility
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at BREWPUBLIK?
Uncertain, surprising, and rewarding
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Wisdom through experience
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English Language?
Charlie Mulligan, thank you so much for sitting down with us at our DotCom Magazine Impact Player Round Table. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping others to learn more about your company and what it takes to be a leader. We we wish you, your family, and of course BREWPUBLIK, nothing but the best.