Ariel De Lion is a writer, musician, artist, a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and thriving community entrepreneur. Ariel provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of a few communities and art projects worldwide. De Lion joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has recently awarded Ariel De Lion with our Impact Person of 2019 award. We are delighted to have Ariel join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview, and our popular “speed round” as well.
Ariel, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. What is the “elevator pitch” for Arieldelion?
To the question ‘what do you do’ I’d say:
I write a story -> live it -> facilitate it -> make new friends -> create a community about it -> transform -> write a story. Repeat.
2. What is the key to your company’s success?
A friend with a mental disease once told me, “a wizard without a community is a lunatic, you are crazier than I, but you know how to build communities to contain this craziness.”
3. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give entrepreneurs just starting out with a new venture?
The past decade proves that most modern successful companies built around a supporting community. Confucius said 2,500 years ago that “we have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.” A working place without a community won’t pass this quote, and therefore won’t be successful.
4. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Meditate, practice QiGong, don’t stress it, Mbah Gotho, died at 142 said, “The receipt is just patience.”
5. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Arieldelion, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
That’s not my kind of business, I’m not calling for raving fans and not doing things that attract fandom. I am focused on being me, honest to myself, compassionate to what I intend to create.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, how do you stay abreast of things?
I work hard on it, I’m always excessive and active. Working with a personal herbalist on a diet that will keep me high on energy and clear minded. Doing practices that enhance my performance, I live the moment in ways very few can imagine.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Arieldelion?
I don’t ask my self why something happens to me, I ask what can I learn from it. It’s essential to keep your mind on constructive thinking, so bad mornings will happen less frequently, but they will always be there, it’s part of life, we all have bad days.
However, when I do have a bad day, I squeeze every drop of it, I won’t sleep until my right string of thoughts is back.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
It’s not a book, it’s a tutorial, and it’s called Dungeons and Dragons. Growing up, I was a dungeon master, I created worlds with their distinctive rules and characters, narrated stories, and perceived how it all works. I still do it today.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Arieldelion ?
Set a mutual intention, keep reminding it.
10.Can you explain what leadership means to you?
I will tell you a story as an answer.
The Foreteller of the Cherry Blossom.
“An adored foreteller had 7 years to live and chose during these 7 years to plant Sweet Cherry Trees in the communal courtyard. Confused by their choice, their neighbor came to the foreteller and asked them why you choose to plant trees you will never get to eat their fruits, for the Sweet Cherry Trees bears fruits only after 7 years.
The foreteller related and said because a person came here and planted Sweet Cherry Trees over 7 years ago, we get to eat Sweet Cherries now, in 7 years from now, I want to be that person.”
We would like to have some fun and do a “speed round” with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, what makes a successful CEO?
Their immediate community.
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Arieldelion?
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English language?
Ariel De Lion, thank you so much for sitting down with us for our DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We wish you, your family, and of course Arieldelion , nothing but the best.