Ian MacLachlan is the CEO of BTI Group. Ian is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. Ian provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of BTI Group. Ian MacLachlan joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has recently awarded BTI Group with our Impact Company of 2019 award. We are delighted to have Ian join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview and our popular “speed round” as well.
Ian, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. What is the “elevator pitch” for BTI Group?
BTI/Business Team is the largest business broker in the Western US with over 75 associates. We specialize in selling privately held businesses up to $100MM in revenue.
2. What is the key to your company’s success?
Because of our size and the “Team” culture we have been able to create an internal business brokerage MLS-type system which allows all of us to work on each other’s listings. There is a multiplier effect which means a far greater buyer pool which translates to a quicker sale and a market value sale price for the seller.
3. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give entrepreneurs just starting out with a new venture?
Buying an existing business with systems, profit history is the lowest risk.
4. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
In general, avoid long term fixed overhead so that you can make overhead adjustments quickly.
5. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at BTI Group, and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Of course it is very important and we have hundreds of glowing referral letters but some business buyers fail and some owners have expectations which the market will never deliver.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, how do you stay abreast of things?
Wall Street Journal and trade associations.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead BTI Group?
Go for a run!
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
Winston Churchill biographies.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at BTI Group?
The most important is sharing our experiences so that we can learn from each other.
10. Can you explain what leadership means to you?
We would like to have some fun and do a “speed round” with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, what makes a successful CEO?
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
Did the job
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Discipline and flexibility.
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at BTI Group?
$1MM in revenue
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English language?
Ian MacLachlan, thank you so much for sitting down with us for our DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We wish you, your family, and of course BTI Group, nothing but the best.