Jake Thompson is the CEO of Compete Every Day . Jake is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. Jake provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of Compete Every Day . Jake Thompson joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has recently awarded Compete Every Day with our Impact Company of 2019 award. We are delighted to have Jake join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview, and our popular speed round as well.
Jake, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. What is the elevator pitch for Compete Every Day?
Compete Every Day is a lifestyle brand that helps people become leaders who make better impacts in their career, training, and life by discovering their inner Competitor.
2. What is the key to your companys success?
To date, the biggest key to success has been a commitment to focusing on our brand message and finding the channels & products that allow us to introduce that message to people in a way that it clicks.
3. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give entrepreneurs just starting out with a new venture?
Tighten your focus. Its easy to fall into the trap of believing your product is for everyone but the fastest way to build and grow a brand is by focusing on a very narrow audience and expanding later. Know who you serve and exactly how you help their lives improve youll be surprised when you discover that shrinking your focus to a smaller audience actually helps you grow faster.
4. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Play the long-game. Business isnt an overnight success story despite what headlines may sometimes read. Dont sacrifice the future by cutting corners in the immediate or sinking yourself into debt to look bigger than you actually are. Play the long-game so youre in business in the future and not just now.
5. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at Compete Every Day , and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
Its paramount. We want our customers to not only be happy with their purchase, but love it enough to tell others. We do a number of things from including handwritten thank you cards in orders to sending personalized videos on social media to new followers to let them know theyre not just a number, but an actual person that we care about helping and seeing succeed.
6. In todays fast changing business environment, how do you stay abreast of things?
I use Flipboard and a RSS reader to stay abreast of current trends or new technology but honestly a lot of my work is done in reading books, and not necessarily recent ones. I try to mix new releases with timeless classics because a lot of the educational content we recreate is ultimately leadership development and theres timeless principles that are still relevant today.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead Compete Every Day?
My Why is to help people reach their potential and Im passionate about not seeing people settle for the limits their parents/friends/coworkers believe they should settle for. The opportunity to make an impact on someones mindset drives me.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
The best book Ive read in the last 5 years is Atomic Habits by James Clear. Its incredibly well written and insightful into how you change habits and develop a process for success.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at Compete Every Day?
Over communicate. I struggled early in my career of not clearly communicating my vision or directions to the team. Now I go over the top, even including videos/screenshares so theres a databse of steps.
10. Can you explain what leadership means to you?
Leadership is about empowering others to take action, and inspiring them by how you live.
We would like to have some fun and do a speed round with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, what makes a successful CEO?
Attitude of Service
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Helping Others Win
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Help People Succeed
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at Compete Every Day?
Lost at sea
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
Not About Me
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English language?
Can (as in, I CAN)
Jake Thompson, thank you so much for sitting down with us for our DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We wish you, your family, and of course Compete Every Day , nothing but the best.
Jake Thompson, CEO of Compete Every Day , The Leader Roundtable Interview Series