Stephen E. Lawrence is the CEO of San Francisco Brokers Club . Stephen is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. Stephen provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of San Francisco Brokers Club . Stephen E. Lawrence joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team has recently awarded San Francisco Brokers Club with our Impact Company of 2019 award. We are delighted to have Stephen join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview, and our popular “speed round” as well.
Stephen, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. What is the “elevator pitch” for San Francisco Brokers Club?
The San Francisco Broker’s Club (SFBC), represents a pool of qualified club-based Investors who have an opportunity to investigate a potential investment opportunity over a business luncheon or dinner presentation. We currently operate in seven (7) cities across the United States. These cities are San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Chicago and New York. From the onset of the company, established in 2009, “Synergy and your Success”, has been our Mission Statement.
2. What is the key to your company’s success?
The gathering of a number of qualified attendees for each event, and also the need to avoid non-interested participants, who only attend for a free meal. So called “plate-lickers”.
3. Many of our readers are just starting to build a company. What advice can you give entrepreneurs just starting out with a new venture?
Having a deep sense of going on a mission about who you are, where you want to end up, with what you intend to accomplish, and working at it one day at a time.
4. For other entrepreneurs seeking to build a business as successful as yours, what advice can you give them when times get a little challenging?
Always bear in mind, that the difference between success and failure, is having confidence and knowing that you are in charge. To be able to see things in the “seed”, that is genius, and knowing what to accept and what to reject based on the decision you make.
5. How important is the commitment to client satisfaction at San Francisco Brokers Club , and how do you make sure your customers will become raving fans of your company?
I believe that when you serve others well, you will see a positive outcome in every direction, a so-called movement of positive energy. Being truthful with the results, beginning with outstanding performance, and to be sure you are able to deliver when you say you will deliver.
6. In today’s fast changing business environment, how do you stay abreast of things?
I take a conscious endeavor to understand what is going on in the minds and hearts of those you encounter around you, working as a team, and reading trade related articles to stay up to date.
7. What is your “Why”? Why do you get up in the morning, and how do you keep yourself at peak performance to lead San Francisco Brokers Club?
I read many online newswires daily. Trade, and mixing gathering information each morning with my coffee, while burning calories on my desk cycling machine, exercising for 30 to 45 minutes each day.
8. Can you recommend a book that has had an influence in your career? How did it influence you?
I read a book entitled, “Steal like an Artist” by Austin Kleon. The book made me realize that “borrowing success from others”, comes in many forms and why reinvent the wheel, when you can bypass that.
9. When communicating with your staff, can you tell us the most important thing you do so that they are able to carry out the objectives that you set forth at San Francisco Brokers Club?
I put my directives in an e- mail response/reply to acknowledge “in receipt of “for clarity purposes.
10. Can you explain what leadership means to you?
To take the lead as nobody can lead for you.
We would like to have some fun and do a “speed round” with you! We will ask you ten more questions that we want you to answer in just one to three words only.
Here you go!
1. In three words or less, what makes a successful CEO?
Don’t make excuses
2. Describe your business in one word?
3. Describe your customers in one word?
4. What one attribute do you look for when hiring an employee?
5. What is the one word you want your customers to say about your company?
6. In three words or less, describe your passion?
Do the job
7. In three words or less, describe what it takes to be successful?
Tenacity of purpose
8. In three words or less, describe your first year in business at San Francisco Brokers Club?
Excitement going somewhere
9. In three words or less, describe how running a successful company has changed you?
You become somebody
10. What is the one word that you believe has the most power in the English language?
Stephen E. Lawrence, thank you so much for sitting down with us for our DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to be a leader. We wish you, your family, and of course San Francisco Brokers Club, nothing but the best.