Al Joynes is the CEO of Do More Design. Al is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. Al provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of Do More Design. Al Joynes joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team is delighted to have Al join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview.
Al, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. Al, please tell us about Do More Design.What is the elevator pitch?
Domoredesign.com is a socially inclusive design platform that connects UK design students and recent graduates to SMEs & startups who need great design assets at a fraction of the cost of working with a creative agency.
2. What is the one thing that makes Do More Design great?
Providing real experience to new creative designers at the very start of their employment journey.
3. Please tell us what is the key to being a great entrepreneur?
Passion. Being passionate about your aims. For me my passion lies in community led projects. I like to find out what issues lie in the way of communities and try to find ways in which to overcome these issues.
4. What is the best advice can you give to a young entrepreneur just starting out with a new venture?
Have the right mindset. You are going to go in to battle. Its not easy and not everyone will help. Find others who are in your space. Network like crazy. Talk to everyone. Give your time to others. Be open to advise. If you hear an idea that could make your thing better from 3 unconnected people, youve got to do it.
5. What is the one thing that you, as a person, want to be known for?
Making a difference to those who are distant from the labour market.
6. When building a business, what is the one most important thing to keep in mind at all times?
Sustainability. By that I mean the business needs to pay for itself and its resources. It also needs to keep evolving, the landscape is constantly changing. Nothing is forever, what delivers profit right now might be finite.
7. When hiring employees, what is the one most important thing you look for?
The Character to fit the existing team and taking the whole team forward forward.
8. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning?
Usually because I have been kicked in the face by my 9 month old son at 05:00 lol! But when I do start my day I am motivated by the aim of building upon what we have already achieved in supporting new UK creatives.
9. What is the one thing that makes a great company?
10. What is the one thing that makes a great leader?
The leaders that I follow have a lot of authority in their sectors, I know this because they spend a lot of time sharing and engaging. Therefore for me, a great leader has authority and spends time sharing and engaging.
Al Joynes, thank you so much for participating in the DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to build a great company and become a great leader. We wish you, your family, and of course Do More Design, nothing but the best.