Devon Bortscher is the CEO of Savian. Devon is a thought leader, influencer, visionary, and successful entrepreneur. Devon provides the leadership and energy that has inspired the creation of Savian. Devon Bortscher joins other leading CEOs and Founders taking part in our Leader Roundtable Interview Series. The DotCom Magazine editorial team is delighted to have Devon join us for our Leader Roundtable Interview.
Devon, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day for this interview about your company, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
1. Devon, please tell us about Savian. What is the elevator pitch?
We Communicate. We Educate. We Create
These are our core values rooted in all our work. We are a design firm and marketing agency centered on visual communication. We work with organizations and businesses to help define their digital presence through strategic planning, branding & design, animation, web, and social development. Were passionate, were creative, and were savvy.
2. What is the one thing that makes Savian great?
Quality of work, not quantity. Since we opened our doors, it was never our goal to push out countless projects. Instead, we focus on building long-lasting relationships with our clients through consistent communication, proper education, and creative results.
3. Please tell us what is the key to being a great entrepreneur?
Your mindset. Is it the money that matters to you or the results? If youre a person who believes in the results, coming up with strategies to measure these results and improve on them while bringing in income is what makes a great entrepreneur.
4. What is the best advice can you give to a young entrepreneur just starting out with a new venture?
I think a lot of catch-phrases and terms get cycled around this subject. Ultimately, every business is different, but there are a few things you can do to help shine the light ahead:
- I would highly suggest starting a 1-page business plan. Theres no need to go too far on this (initially). Instead, think of this as a living, breathing document that gets updated regularly as your business grows and changes.
- Surround yourself with positive people. You are going to face challenges in your business and having a framework of positive people can help you maintain your inspiration and motivation.
- Know your cashflow. It will help you sleep at night. Make a spreadsheet of your expected sales and potential prospects. Update this regularly, and once you have a few months of data, you can begin to formulate quarterly projections. Its comforting to know what you may be bringing in over the next few months.
- Understand your most valuable asset: Time. If you can, try to offload the things you are least comfortable doing. Focus your time on the things that will benefit your clients and business.
5. What is the one thing that you, as a person, want to be known for?
I want to be known as someone who is transparent and unbiased in my decisions. I also dont want to make everything about me — but rather the people I work with.
6. When building a business, what is the one most important thing to keep in mind at all times?
Risk management. Know what you are getting into. Take risks, embrace failure, and dont make the same mistakes twice.
7. What is your Why? Why do you get up in the morning?
For me, I get up because I get to see peoples passions get used in a way that benefits other businesses, organizations and people, while at the same time making a living.
8. What is the one thing that makes a great company?
Culture. I think that great companies focus on building a strong team culture, which shows in their products and services. Happy staff means less turnover, less wasted time on training, and people who want to be a part of the companys future.
9. What is the one thing that makes a great leader?
A great leader is not a boss. A great leader builds a team, encourages them to grow, and to be the best they can be. A great leader has faults, and isnt always right. A great leader learns from their mistakes. A great leader admits when they are wrong. A great leader leads by example.
Devon Bortscher, thank you so much for participating in the DotCom Magazine Leader Roundtable Interview Series. We very much appreciate the time you spent helping our readers learn more about what it takes to build a great company and become a great leader. We wish you, your family, and of course Savian, nothing but the best.